Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dr. John R. Passarini

Last Friday there was a mini conference here at the college. Dr. John R. Passarini was the keynote speaker for the conference. Dr. Passarini is the winner of the Disney Outstanding Teacher of the Year award in 2003. He is Adaptive Physical Education Teacher who has made a huge impact on many students’ lives. After listening to and watching video clips about his profession, it makes me want to learn more about Adaptive Physical Education and make myself a better overall Physical Education Teacher.

His motto is that “Nobody is disabled, we are all differently-abled.” One of the strongest things he said for me was that it doesn’t matter if you are working with a world-class athlete or if you are working with someone in a wheelchair, you are going to use the same approach. He said our job is to find the ability level the student is at and ask yourself, what can I do to further their ability level?

Dr. John R. Passarini is an amazing guy who has helped so many people and families. Dr. Passarini has made me want to become a better teacher and learn as much as I can about Adaptive Physical Education. Hopefully when I become a Physical Educator I will have an impact on my students’ lives just as Dr. Passarini does.

No comments: